Thursday, December 2, 2010

Hello World! (Dangit guys, do I have to do this?)

Hello everyone,

If you're reading this blog, its all Danny's fault. Go right now and blame him. And probably Katherine's, too. And my mother's. For they all say, "Hey Hannah, go make a blog. It'll be awesome. You'll like it, your blog. Blogging. Writing useless things. It'll be great." After a while, I finally caved. It was also the fault of my friends for having interesting blogs, too. Dangit, if you guys can do it so can I. So, there!

I'm not 100% sure what I'll write about here. I think I shall do book reviews from time to time. Does that sound good? I'm in a book club (the best in the world, ever) called Eva Perry Mock Printz Book club. Go google it, really. We're awesome. Join our ranks if you can.

So, we get advanced copies of YA books to read for purposes of talking about them with people, and I believe you are just the people to talk to them about.

At first glance, you might think "YA books? Really? That's most of what you read and want to review? Can't you read something with substance!?" and then I'd have to whack you on the side of the head because you are oh so wrong. Every once in a while there is an amazing gem of a book to come out from the YA scene, with literary merit more than any adult book could muster. And then on top of that, there are a good stream of enjoyable books that are just plain fun to read.

The only teeny tiny problem is that other than what's mentioned above....everything else is kind of cringe worthy. Another pink covered book about the magical world of shopping and dating? Another bland book where they try to preach to us like we're seven? Another book where they just plain think we're seven? Another damned paranormal romance!? I am so tired of hot sparkling vampires in leather pants. Really.

So while I will rave about the books I love, I'll probably rant just as much or more about the ones I don't. Better me than you, right? You might ask why I still read books that are bad, though, right? I'll let you in on a secret. When you're a writer like I am, you learn ten times more from a book that's bad than one that's good..aaannnd when you're a writer, you're probably crazy. On top of that, I like ranting and keeping other people from suffering from the pain of reading a bad book, or worse, spending money on it.

But, YA books are a genre, not a reading level. And like any genre, there are going to be books that are awful and books that are amazing. If you don't read YA books, you're missing out.

I'll be your own personal spam filter, everyone. Sure, there are other's out there, but I'll do the job in style. At least, I think I will.

So I hope you guys at least partially enjoy the reviews to come (among other things that will hopefully be interesting) and will forgive me for any ranting. Happy reading!

Love,
Hannah (NotVeryCharming)

0 comments:

Post a Comment